Friday, November 20, 2015

Heights of Insanity

Guess what I just did today?

I came into Pune after 12 midnight from Mumbai and took a tempo traveler cab. He must be taking his last round and sounded drunk as hell. For those don't live in Pune, let me offer a clear picture:

I alighted at Bhumkar Chowk and wanted to get to Pimple Saudagar. The route is not straight-forward and takes a detour at Dange Chowk and could be drive of anywhere between 10-20 minutes in the night. From Dange Chowk, if instead of a detour, you go straight,you will reach Chinchwad Gaon.

Now, there were three people who boarded his traveler, one wanted to get down at Dange Chowk and one wanted to go to Chinchwad, and I wanted to go to Pimple Saudagar - he said yes to all three. I to correct him by asking out clearly. He was so drunk, he didn't even register what any of us had asked - simply said yes.

Then at Dange chowk when two of us were getting down, the other guy gave ten rupees in complete change of one and two rupee coins. I gave a 50 rs note, while we were both arguing the charges, he said it is twenty rupees per person since it's night time (actual charge in any cab should not be more than 10 rupees for that distance). 

The other guy must have sensed the driver was drunk and listless. He handed him his change of ten rupees and got down nonchalantly. This driver charged me twenty and gave me 30 rs in return. 

When I called him out for cheating so openly, he said "meri marzi"  [This is my vehicle, I will charge according to my wish].

I said: "Pay me my ten rupees back or else I will steal my 50 rs note from your hand and run away!". I think the way I shouted must have been shaken him out of his intoxicated state. He quickly handed me the change which the previous guy gave.

I didn't mind the 20 re charge, his argument that it is night time was right. What irked me was his indifference that he had cheated so openly and still didn't care.

I guess, sometimes you have to be an idiot to survive in a world full of morons!

No comments:

Post a Comment